This recipe was originally posted on sexfoodandkettlebells.com, July 6 2012.
SWEET POTATO FRIES:
TIME: 45 min
YIELD: serves 3-4 depending on how hungry the individuals in question are ;)
5 large sweet potatoes (preferably organic, but if not, go for local)
4 tbsp butter (or palm oil)
1 tsp pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt - or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 deg.
2. Peel and Chop sweet potatoes into fries in a large bowl. (I accentuated PEEL as the fries in the picture have the peel on, and while Jon likes those on occasion, I would not recommend it. They end up sweeter, and do not get as good of a coating of the spice, however are still delicious. Just my preference - if you have the time, please peel, and you will thank me.)
3. Melt butter in a saucepan on the stove, and add to bowl.
4. Toss fries until compeltely coated with butter.
5. Add spices/salt.
6. Bake for 15 min, flip, and bake for another 15 min.
7. Remove from oven and serve with the dip. I like to spinkle some more sea salt prior to serving.
HONEY GARLIC DIP:
TIME: 5 min
YIELD: 1/2 cup
1 free range egg (straight from the fridge)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground organic mustard seed
1/2 c coconut oil
1/2 c olive oil
5 small cloves of garlic (or to taste - we love garlic!)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp honey
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp organic mesquite powder
1. Juice lemon.
2. In a blender, mix egg, mustard powder, and lemon juice until smooth.
3. Slowly add in oils (olive + coconut) one tsp at a time, blending a bit after each. I know this seems tedious, but if you rush it, you will not get the texture or thickness we are looking for. By the time the oils are all added, the dip should be thick and shiny.
4. Add garlic, sea salt, pepper, mesquite, parsley, and blend.