This recipe was originally posted on sexfoodandkettlebells.com, Aug 11 2012.
TIME: Prep 15-20 min, Cook time 1.5 hrs
YIELD: Feeds a hungry string octet (sorry, grew up in a musical family)
5 tbsp goat butter (or coconut oil)
3 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 med onions, finely chopped
1 large organic eggplant, peeled and chopped
2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 cup soaked wild mushrooms
1/4 cup red wine
7 cups home made bone broth
1 lb grass fed beef
1 free range egg
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp oregano dried
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried basil
1-1.5 tbsp sea salt (or to taste)
pepper (I used mixed peppercorns for the soup, and ground pepper for the meatballs)
1. Melt butter in a pan. Add eggplant, garlic, and 1 onion. Cook on med heat until lightly browned.
2. Transfer eggplant mixture to a large saucepan, add tomato, bay leaves, red wine, and bone broth. Put on high and bring to a boil.
3. Add mushrooms and sweet potato. Add oregano, basil, peppercorns, and 2 tsp sea salt. Cook lightly covered for 30 min on lower heat.
4. Meanwhile, make the meatballs - mix the ground beef, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1 onion, egg, and sea salt/pepper (or other seasonings of choice) by hand. Using a teaspoon to gauge size, form into small meatballs.
5. Pour 2 tbsp of coconut flour onto a large plate, and roll the finished meatballs until covered.
6. When the soup mixture is ready, add the meatballs gently by dropping them in. Take this opportunity to taste the liquid and make spicing adjustments to taste. Continue cooking for 30 min.
7. Serve with some fresh basil and maybe even some shredded sheep cheese (Mmmmm!)