This recipe was originally posted on sexfoodandkettlebells.com, Feb 12 2013.
This is hands down one of my favourite recipes of all time. In fact. I made it every weekend for the last four weeks until I perfected it for you. (That's how thoughtful I am.) I sat there eating try after tray of lemon squares until I knew I had the recipe I could stand behind. These bars have a delicious tangy tartness to them, a soft texture, and a "browned butter" crust.
TIME: 50 min
YIELD: serves 8-12
Browned Butter Crust
1/2 cup grassfed butter
3/4 cup coconut flour, organic
2 free range eggs, whisked
1/3 cup coconut sap sugar
2 tbsp water
4 free range eggs
3/4 cup coconut sap sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon zest
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp organic coconut flour
1. Melt butter in a pan on med-high heat, and allow to cook until browned. The butter will foam, clarify, and begin to foam again - this will take about 5-6 min after it has melted. Stir continuously to prevent from burning.
2. Transfer butter to a bowl, and place in the freezer to chill until set completely - this will take about 20 min.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F.
4. Prepare an 8 x 8 Pyrex pan: grease the bottom and sides with coconut oil, and then add a large piece of parchment paper that folds over the sides (you will need this to lift the final product out of the pan). Grease the parchment paper with coconut oil on the bottom and sides as well.
5. Whisk the eggs. In a large bowl, mix all the rest of the crust ingredients by hand, and then add the egg - keep mixing by hand. It will end up as a crumbly crust/mixture.
6. Remove the browned butter from the fridge, and scoop small pieces (about 1/2 inch or less) into the batter. You can also just use a spoon and them crumble the butter with your hands.
7. Mix the batter again by hand, and when completely mixed, press into the Pyrex pan evenly. Bake for 18 min.
8. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, mix all the filling ingredients together with a hand mixer, and pour over the batter as soon as it is removed from the oven.
9. Decrease oven heat to 325F, and bake the bars for 30 min.
10. Transfer to the fridge to set for several hours, and then lift out using the parchment paper onto a cutting board, and cut to size. Enjoy!